This is commonly called Snow fungus.Known by the botanical name – Tremella fuciformis belongs to the fungus family.It is also known by the names white tree ear fungus, silver fungus and silver ear Bai Mu Erh, Shirokikurage, Silver Tree-ear, Fungus, White Jelly-leaf, White Muer,Wood Ear Fungus.But the most common name is the Snow fungus.
It is valued for its medicinal properties. The Chinese and the Japanese have been using this as a medicine for more than 2000 years!
• It is believed to to contain Vitamin C,Iron,Calcium and Phosphorus.
• The protein in this fungus nourishes the body
• It also nourishes the lungs, heals dry coughs and clears heat in the lungs. If anyone is susceptible to cold a soup of this fungus and rock sugar strengthens the respiratory system.
• It lowers the ‘bad’ or LDL cholesterol.
• Protects the liver
• It prevents the cholesterol from clogging the arteries.
• It is believed to heal certain cancerous growth
• Considered to be an anti inflammatory
• Improves immuno-deficiency.
It also acts as a beauty aid by improving the blood production and circulation thereby giving the skin a moist complexion.
You can get this snow fungus in Chinese store in the dried form which looks like this..It is dry and white and becomes gelatinous when cooked.